Deadline: November 2, 2015 (by 4:00pm)
Audition: November 9, 2015 (from 3:00 to 4:30pm)
Thank you for your interest in becoming a candidate for Student Speaker for the Fall 2015 Commencement Ceremony. The person selected will represent the graduating students of the Class of Fall 2015 and will play a very important role in the Commencement Ceremony.
The following section describes the criteria and process to be used for selecting the speaker. Linked is the application itself, which is to be returned to the Humanities Division Office, K-214, by 4pm on Monday, November 2, 2015. If you have any questions, you may contact Rayna Morel at email@example.com. Please bookmark this page for future reference.
Student Speaker Criteria
- High Academic Achievement
The student must demonstrate academic achievement, as evidenced by a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- University/Community Service
The student must have a record of meaningful University and/or community service.
- Graduating Senior
The student must have applied for graduation and is graduating this semester as an undergraduate student.
- Public Communication Skills
The student must demonstrate the potential to communicate to a large audience on a graduation-related theme in a meaningful, clear, and an expressive manner.
Procedure of Application:
- Click Here to Download the Fall 2015 application in PDF
- Alternatively, pick up an application in the Humanities Division office, K-214.
|Deadline: The application should be returned to the Humanities Division Office, K-214, by 4pm on Monday, November 2, 2015. Late applications cannot be accepted. Be sure to have your application date and time stamped by one of the Humanities Division secretaries. If you have any questions, you may contact Rayna Morel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants who meet criteria I, II and III above, will be invited to speak at an audition session to be held between the hours of 3:00 – 4:30pm on Monday, November 9, 2015 in the conference room of the Humanities Division Office, K-214A. Should you be selected to audition, be prepared to present a 3-minute speech you would give at the graduation ceremony. There will be a small group of judges present, but you will speak as if you are addressing those assembled at the graduation ceremony itself. You may speak extemporaneously or use a manuscript. There will be no microphone at the audition. Do note that this is an actual audition, so please come prepared.
- Invitations to speak at the Monday, November 9th audition will be extended by e-mail. If you have not been reached by Friday, November 6th, please contact Rayna Morel by e-mail (email@example.com) or at 932-7086 to learn what time you have been scheduled to speak on the afternoon of November 9th. Please be on time for your scheduled audition and wait in the hallway outside of Humanities Division office until you are greeted.
- Final selection by the judges will be based upon the sample speeches given on November 9th. Both content and delivery will be considered (along with academic achievement and service in especially close competition).
- The student selected to be the Student Commencement Speaker will receive assistance from UH Hilo faculty in refining their speech and its delivery. The student selected must email the speech to the committee in a timely manner.
- The student selected to be the Student Commencement Speaker must practice with a podium and microphone at the UHH Theatre, UCB 100, or Wentworth 1 (whichever is available) at least one time, specifically during the last week of instruction or finals week. The selected student will receive assistance from faculty members.